The life expectancy of humankind has increased now, due to science and the advancement of related disciplines. However, as life expectancy has improved, seniors now face more challenges as they live to ripe old ages. So as to live productive and independent lives as long as possible, here are a few pointers to help.
1. First of all, bring a change to your lifestyle and eating habits as you blend 65. When you haven’t been living a healthy life until today, it’s time to give up your vices. Smoking is 1 thing that must go as it may result in such problems as Alzheimer’s disease and lung ailments. Alcohol and other substance abuse have to proceed; the former in small moderation may nevertheless be allowed. In terms of your diet, try to steer clear of red meat as much as possible especially if you’ve got high blood pressure and heart issues. Get overall nutrition from each of the 6 food groups which make up our diets such as fruits, vegetables, bread and cereals, meat, fish, poultry and milk.
2. Sodium intake should be moderated or reduced, particularly those items with sodium which come from processed foods. Girls senior citizens must increase their intake of calcium as osteoporosis is a frequent issue among aging women.
3. Live an active life as far as possible. Some form of exercises such as walking or jogging ought to be done every day as long as you can. Tai chi and yoga are particularly valuable for seniors because this help to fight joint problems and stiffness which happens with aging. But don’t exercise too much, as this can put a strain on your body’s aging organs.
4. Go for regular checkups even if you’re well. Men should go for routine prostate check-ups while girls must know about their bone density as low bone density may cause osteoporosis. Be on the lookout for the sudden change in your behavior or that of your spouse. Do not overlook examples of you forgetting things all of a sudden or in the event you can not remember recent events.
5. Your social life also needs to be fully enjoyed at this age. Do not stop going out to your routine meetings with friends because of your age; actually you should meet more frequently. Socializing is an excellent way to fight age-related problems such as Alzheimer’s disease and depression which often comes because of loneliness.
6. Together with staying busy, you also need to have preventive procedures to prevent falling because bones become fragile at this age. So ensure that your residence is proofed against accidental drops and bumps; ask your kids to do it for you if you can not do it yourself. Fill up your prescription a couple of days until the old ones run out, so you don’t need to rush to the drugstore at the last minute or miss With the right mindset and lifestyle, you may enjoy this period of your life. In actuality, it can prove to be the best portion of your entire life if you’re conscious of possible limitations and problems.